Friday, March 11, 2011

Scattered Thoughts

I watched the effects of the earthquake and tsunami early this morning. It brought up lots of thoughts about my brother. But it brought up lots of other thoughts.

First, my child has an irrational fear of earthquakes. Living in California a healthy respect for the earth moving under you is wise. You prepare. You have bottled water and canned food. You have flashlights and batteries. You bolt things to the walls and you don't hang heavy stuff (or anything, for that matter) over the head of your bed.

But she has been through two big ones and she has never gotten over the fear. A 3.0, a one second jolt, can send her under the table or out the door--- whichever is safer in her mind.

So I am watching the news today and I am beginning to feel a bit of her fear. I begin to understand why this otherwise ultra rational person loses it when the earth does something unexpected.

Combing that realization with the thoughts I was having about my brother, the upcoming trial, the need to get the dog to the vet (Zelda had a mole removed and needs her stitches out), the threat of a tsunami 1/2 mile from me and I sorta lost my ability to think.

That in itself was a bit unsettling. Thinking is my bread and butter. Literally.

So I went to the optometrist, had my eyes checked, (which has no connection to anything except I had an appointment) went home and worked on a jigsaw puzzle.

Tomorrow I will go to work and try and save my client.

No comments:

Post a Comment