Tuesday, December 25, 2012

So Far, So Good

I have ventured into baking again.

I know, I am a glutton for punishment.

But I had promised The Kid that she would have a lemon meringue pie for dinner tonight. (I am a glutton for punishment).

For those of you who are uninformed, my last effort ended up on the kitchen stove---minus a crust.


The stove top
The remainder

This time I used a cookie sheet and moved ever so slowly. Even putting the ingredients together. It took a LONG time.

I was extremely careful with the eggs. No yolk in the whites, said my mother; so there were no yolk droplets in my egg whites. Medium heat for the lemon custard; so medium heat. Stir constantly; so I stirred forever!

Then I added cream of tartar and vanilla extract to the egg whites and beat them shiny and stiff. I even added the sugar very slowly.

And this was the result.
Today's effort before browning

I carefully (oh, lordy, you don't know how carefully) transferred the pie to a cookie sheet. Then I carefully slid the whole thing into a preheated oven (I did that before I started anything so I wouldn't forget!)

Twelve excruciating minutes later I had to remove it from the oven. I had cleared large swathes of the kitchen counter so that I would not bump into ANYTHING.

I carefully removed the cookie sheet with the pie on it.

I made it to the stove top!




And then, it a miraculous feat, the pie, in one piece made it to the cooling rack ON THE COUNTER!!


I made it to the COUNTER!

It sits now, safe and sound, in the refrigerator for the mandatory 3 hours.



MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU.

May you have peace in your life this year. And may your efforts be as successful as my pie!



1 comment:

  1. Success!

    I probably would have dropped it taking it out of the fridge ;)

    ReplyDelete