Saturday, March 8, 2014

Who'd a Thunk...

In high school I was a bit of a jock.

Now back in those dark ages, we "girls" were not allowed to be involved in competitive sports. That was much to "masculine" for the female of the species. We were not to be competitive or physically active. I actually remember a teacher telling me that if I keep running my ovaries would be damaged.
I didn't know what an ovary was at the time. But the statement was accepted as the way things were.

And I kept running. Cuz I didn't know what an ovary was or what it's role it had in my life.

We had teams in volleyball and softball and basketball.

But we could only play other schools at GAA (Girl's Athletic Association) "Play Days". Just round robin types of tournaments with no winner or loser.

But I played in them all.

Shoot, as a little kid I was center for the Linda Vista Gang football team. Until I turned 9 and my dad forbid me to play with the boys.

I had no interest in home economics.

I vowed to not learn to cook or type or sew.

Those were girly things and I didn't want to be pegged into something I didn't want to be.

I have written about this before but I never realized that it was ok to let go of that rigid thinking until now.

I went to law school when it was still an old boys school. I practiced in an area of law that was male infested. (Maybe not the best choice of words but it made sense at the time.)

And today I spent my second day learning to weave cloth.

And I didn't even notice the time passing.

I was working a puzzle. I was being analytical while I sang to the music that was playing.

It was unreal.

It was really fun.

And day 2 ended with the loom looking like this:
Ninety threaded headles.....

 And a threaded reed.

Took me all day and I never noticed the time. Not once did I look at a clock or even my cell phone. I even forgot I had a cell phone!

I swear it is a mixture of jigsaw puzzle and suduko.

Tomorrow I get to begin the actual weaving. 

Who'd a Thunk....


No comments:

Post a Comment