Saturday, October 8, 2011

I Did NOT Panic

It is Saturday morning. The silent discussion over who is going to get up and feed the dogs has begun. Mohawk is standing by the bed whining as only he can. Zelda is trying to climb up the side of the bed and is nudging my hand to get petted. And LadyBug is standing on my legs.

But she is not licking me or trying to get to my face.

I know that something is wrong. 1) she is NOT licking my face and 2) she is shaking.

Sleep leaves me and I lean up to find her with twitching eyes and a head waggle.

I knew immediately that she was having a re-occurrence of the geriatric vestibular syndrome. And I knew what to do.

I wrapped her up nice and warm, offered her food and water (which she refused) and called the vet.

Within an hour her symptoms began to subside and by the time I got her to the vet she was walking (albeit sideways but walking).

By the time we got back home, she was ready to eat. I just had to put it where she could see it and down it went.

She is sleeping now. She is not in pain. In fact, she is being pampered more than ever.

And I did NOT panic!

I think I will recover from this one. I know LadyBug will.

1 comment:

  1. Not panicking is good :) When Hank the dog had his first seizure, I freaked out. The second a little less...after a few more I just sat next to him and waited it out, sometimes telling him he could finish anytime now, we had outside to go play in.

    He was always exhausted after, but I got to where I understood the seizures didn't hurt him and were harder on me than him.

    Now if the cats start...I will start freaking out again ;)

    ReplyDelete