Friday, November 21, 2014

Harley Boos and the Mueller Dogs

LadyBug, Zelda and Mohawk
When we moved to the Central Coast we had a plethora of pets. The dogs (Mohawk, LadyBug and Zelda) and the cats (Diamond, Putter and TeezaButts) had always had a great vet in Bakersfield. Dr. Lohr was amazing with them all (and their predecessors).

But we didn't know any vets here. And I am pretty picky about vets.

The first week we were in our new home, we had a fence contractor come to put up the necessary dog fence. He did a fabulous job, didn't charge us an arm and a leg AND he raised dachshunds. Miniature dachshunds! And he brought them with him. They stayed in his truck and you wouldn't know they were there except one peeked out the window as I walked by.

I asked about the dogs. (Geez, they were cute!) In that conversation I asked who his vet was.

His answer was (and I quote) "I wouldn't take my dogs to anyone but Harley Boos."

The first time I walked into the Arroyo Grande Pet Clinic I had three dogs in tow. All three were somewhat traumatized by being in a new place. And the staff at that place made them comfortable. They were quick, efficient and in love with every animal that walked into the place.

And then there was Harley.

This big, burly man with the gentlest hands and kindest voice.

We were sold.

He helped us keep TeezaButts alive and happy long past her life expectancy range.

Of all the times that we had to go to his place, only one was sad. But it tells the story of why we now drive 45 minutes to the vet.

We had just moved to the mountain. LadyBug and Mohawk had just turned 16. LadyBug had suffered at least two strokes that Harley and his team had helped her through. And she suffered another.

I came home around 5pm and the spouse was in tears. LadyBug was curled up in her little bed and Mohawk was beside her. He had lost the use of his back legs. (A hip condition that we had been treating but was not responding to that treatment) It was obvious that it was time.

At 5:30 I called Harley's place. They closed at 6. We weren't going to make it and the coming night was going to be painful for the dogs and us. I told them it would take us 45 minutes to get there and maybe a bit longer.

They waited. The vet, the ENTIRE staff waited for us to get there.

And together we said good by to Mohawk and LadyBug.

They had come into the world 10 days apart. From the age of 8 weeks they had been together.

Harley and his people respected that.

So today when Zelda needed attention, it was a no brainer.

We see one of the other doctors now but he is as gentle and caring as Harley.

That is why we go there. That is why we will continue to go there.

(Oh, they sent Zelda a birthday card on November 15. She turned 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment