Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 4

"They didn't believe me?" says the client.
"They believed the officer" says the lawyer.
"Damn" says the client.

You can lead a horse to water......

There are times when a client feels that they can get 12 people to agree with them no matter what. You can explain the facts of the case and the law to them while they nod and agree with everything you say. Then they say, "But I have a right to a jury trial."

They do.

So you prepare like crazy, you bring in experts, you do everything possible, and you go to trial. And about 1/2 way through the first prosecution witness you know..... no matter what you do, your client is going down.

Now all through this process, the prosecution has been offering deals that are quite fair (given the facts) but your client wants a trial. So you explain using a cost/benefit analysis.

He still wants a trial. And you keep going.

It is my job and I do love it. Sometimes though, I just shake my head and thank high heaven we have a Constitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment